Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Other applications....

This morning was the first morning that it really killed me to get out of bed. The alarm went off, the H/BF got up, the dog got up ("OMG!OMG!OMG! Movement! We're all going someplace aren't we? I don't know where, but I see shoes! Yes! Yes! This is great! Greatest thing ever! wag.wag.wag. Let's go. Let's go! Let's go!!) and I laid there and moaned. Then I rolled over and moaned. Then I got up and started getting dressed/brushing my teeth etc. in a very scowly manner. Even the dog focused all of his attention on the H/BF as he knew I was a non-starter this morning. BUT! I got up and got dressed etc. and made my way to class. What made me do that instead of rolling over and going back to sleep? I don't know how to adequately explain it other than saying sometimes something switches in my brain and something just becomes non-optional for me. I simply have to go to class. There's no way around it.

Today we were boxing again, which: it's not a circuit with weights, so- Yay, but; it is still really hard and my whole left side is super tight and sore from Monday's workout, so- Ow. Oh, and as an aside, today was the first day that everyone else was complaining about being sore also, and let me tell you, nothing has ever sounded sweeter to me than the sound of those moans when we had to do lunges today. What can I say? I revel in our shared misery.

Anyway, my point being that today was another really tough workout (oh, really Leah? Hmmm! Shocking! Like I'm waiting for them to get to the hugging puppies workout or something. I definitely heard something about that one), but the thing I like about boot camp is that there's constantly somone checking in and urging you forward. You really can keep going when you hear it's just "30 more seconds!" (which, by the way, they so lie about and squeeze you for an extra 15 at the end. I'm on to you!), or "1 more minute. Push it.", or, the sweetest and best word in the English language: "TIME".

So, while I wasn't thinking about what an effort it is to breathe I was thinking about other applications where it'd be awesome to have your own personal boot-camp going.

1. Work - How awesome would it be to have someone standing behind you motivating you to get off the internet and pick up the phone? To work through that inbox and not just reply to the personal emails? To deal with all the boring aspects of your job that you'll always get to "tomorrow"? You know, ALLEGEDLY.  If you're you. I personally crank out top-quality product at all times, but maybe one of you would benefit from having your own personal Dmitri yelling "keep your chin down", and "just one more minute! Speed it up!"

2. Dating - It's been a while, but from what I can recall, dating can sometimes feel like a workout. All that talking and being "on" and pretending you're interested in getting to know the other person and blah blah blah. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a little voice in your head coaching you "Just one more minute of talking. Aaaaand, TIME! Now switch!", or reminding you "Come on, you're either in this or you're not. Work it!" I'm steering clear of the other instances where "Go for it! Keep going!" might apply.

3. Grocery store  -When that jackass with 22 items steps into the 15-items-or less aisle and holds everyone up, don't discount the value of having had someone demonstrate a perfect upper-cut and making you practice it until you nearly punch yourself in the face from fatigue.

4. Babysitting - Knowing how to jump rope really fast will COMPLETELY impress that toddler.

After nearly two weeks of bootcamp (oooh! check me out!), here are a few things I've taken away that apply across the board:

You can do anything knowing that it won't last forever. And nothing lasts forever. Not even situps.

You're probably not as lame as you think.

Everybody hurts.

Everything can be modified to work for you.

Making time for yourself takes time.

Change happens slowly sometimes, but things always do change.

5:45am is ALWAYS going to be really early.

A hot shower is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Sweating is stinky and gross, but oddly rewarding.

Oh, and in other news, it turns out that if you're going to pour something other than engine oil into your car, power steering fluid is maybe not the direst choice. As a matter of fact, it may clean some other gunk and buildup out of your engine! BUT, as my mechanic informed me, (Holla, Neil!), it is a corrosive so you want to get it out of there as quickly as possible. So, now you know kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring it! Oh, it's already been brought'n