Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Who, The What, The Why and The How

The Who:
The aforementioned Lazy Leah. I'm xxxxty-two. I live in San Francisco with my husband, dog, cat and a shitload of hipsters. I eat out a lot. I watch TV a lot. I drink now and again, moderately, OK, Jesus a lot. Probably a lot. (Like, not "alcoholic" a lot. San Francisco is the third drinkiest city in America. Don't judge me! It's geography.)
I do not do a lot of the following: exercise, eat right, get enough sleep, drink enough water or take very good care of this mortal coil.

The What:
This blog is going to be my chronicle of how I plan on changing most of that (I'll probably still eat out and drink a lot). I've never, ever been athletic, a regular exerciser, fit, or even felt particularly healthy. I'd like to turn that around. I'd like to commit to getting in shape and see measurable results and an improvement in my whole life.

The Why:
Just time. My life is kind of in flux and I feel like I'm ready for something to get really obsessed about. My health seems slightly more worthwhile (and less likely to land me in jail) than my current devotion to Zac Efron in 17 Again.
 Oh, sweet baby Jesus!


While it may sound like total bullshit and trite as hell, it's also about a bigger thing than just getting healthy. On some level, I've been vaguely dissatisfied with my life forever. Something could always be better, bigger, brighter. I grew up overseas and wanted a 19-year olds ephemeral version of "more", so I was fortunate enough to be able to move to California. I got a job but hated where I lived, hated what I did for a living (you know it's hard out there for a pimp), hated feeling in-between two cultures. Then that got better and I felt more at home here. Then I got a job I liked. Then I moved to San Francisco and fell in love. With the city. With a boy. As Lifetime as it sounds, I was very in love with my life (Meredith Baxter Birney stars in "Everything's great!: From East Bay lame to San Fran game"). But still.

Still. That "but" was always there. Because while I've genuinely worked hard to make myself happy (sure there were rough patches here and there but I AM happy), I have always truly been lazy. I've never really pushed myself to an uncomfortable point for anything. What could be a more clear indication of that than feeling like the very thereness of you, your body, your solidity that carries all the rest of you around is sluggish and underappreciated and neglected?
So, this got me thinking that getting this body in shape and fit will be a way of honoring how the rest of my life has gotten "in shape", because I know I have so much to be thankful for and I want to be present for it all. As the great Patton Oswalt said, I don't want to drop dead because I stapled three sheets of paper together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pNtDt0JQTM


The How: (which involves a lot of !!!! and BOLD and italics)

Believe me, while I wish I could say this was going to be accomplished by picturing unicorns naked (and by unicorns, I mean Zac Efron of course), I'm going to go the traditional route. Working out and shit. I have my first personal training session set up for next Wednesday at 7:30am.
Did I mention I'm lazy? 7:30am!!!!!. You know, because actually exercising after not doing it in....ohhhhh... EVER isn't enough of a challenge.
Oh, and because getting up early and exercising would be too easy  for someone as lazy as me, did I mention I'll also be DRIVING TO BERKELEY to do it? You know, 30 minutes away? That Berkeley.
But, see now that I've gone to all the trouble (15 mins, and 7 of that was looking for the lazy cat) of setting up this here blog and telling you fine people, person myself about it on the internetz, I'm going to do this.

Brutally honest measurements, weight and pictures will be posted on Wednesday as the "before". There, that just scared even me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring it! Oh, it's already been brought'n